Sunday 24 April 2016

DIGIPAK PLANNING (CHANGES)

Dear Readers,

Throughout my Research and Planning process of the digipak of my music video, I find out that the way I imagine it to look wasn't as good as I thought it will be. The reason for that was because it didn't look as punkish enough as I want it to be. To me it looked more as a album cover of a Hip Hop or a Rap genre album cover. To avoid such misunderstanding, I look closely in what exactly makes an album cover exciting and the way it communicates with its audience. I came up with a really simple conclusion and final idea.

As I said I changed the whole concept and composition of my album cover. I looked at the different photos I took during the filming of the video, the casting and the video with the different locations where I wanted to film. I used as a background my desk which is covered with a special black paper. This black paper is the background of my album cover. The reason to use it was because it looked better than a normal black cover. It looks more interesting and nobody has used such shade of black which makes the cover look more unique. Another interesting supplement was the way it is presented to the audience the name of the band and the name of the album. This unusual way of writing made the look of the album look more rebelish and the different colors of the letters creates the sense that it is somehow connected to a punk genre or a sub-genre. 

As every punk or ska album is common to see the musicians on the cover. That is why I used photos of the members of the band and made them old polaroid photos. The reason to do that was becaude it aesthetically look good and because the genre is considered as an old genre. Besides them I was hinking that every band has its logo. After a long thinking and many changes I thought that a star will fit perfectly on the digipak. I design the star to be colored with the common communist colors which are RED and BLACK. The reason to do that was because the actual band comes from the Esatern Europe where the comunist regime took place long time ago. Furthermore, I added more stickers such as thr rock sign, a guitar and a graffiti. It represents perfectly the genre and what the audience should expect when they buy the album. 

When I was choosing the the songs the first thing I did was to add the same letters I used for the name of the album and the band. However, I did't like the way it looked so I changed the font to the stereotypical college graffiti. I used again different letters to save the sense of a punk/ska genre album. 

As a conclusion, the final results were satisfying. The reason to think that way is because I used original conventiones to present to the audience what exactly genre of the album is. Example for the conventins I used are: 
  • colorful letters
  • polaroid photos
  • messy composition
  • Logo
  • different grafitti and stickers
pic 1.The outside look of the Digipak

pic 2. The inside look of the Digipack

No comments:

Post a Comment