Friday 13 November 2015

GENRE ANALYSIS



Genre is a French word and it means ‘’sort’’ or ‘’kind’’. It’s a word which categorizes different type of media text such as music, movies, literature, etc. From my last year media coursework I focus on an opening of a movie. I aimed to look like an action movie by using different conventions of the action genre. For instance, I had two main characters, playing the role of protagonists who were fighting against the antagonist. For this year course I decide to challenge myself and film a music clip. At the beginning of the year I was thinking to make a Rock music video. What changed my mind was my recent switch from Rock to Funk. What I decide to focus on this year coursework is a music video accompanied with a song made by very Eastern European band called Dubioza Kolektiv. I thought it would be interesting to work on something which is not so popular in England.
Dubioza Kolektiv is a Bosnian band. They focus on the Eastern European motives such as the positivism of the eastern European people, their love to be with people. Moreover, in my opinion they make really funny and interesting songs which won’t let the audience feel sad or depressed.
The song which I am going to use in my video is called U.S.A.. The genre of the particular song could be considered as a hybrid genre. In the song there are different eastern motives like eastern folk rhythms, punk and a little bit of reggae. I will use different generic convention such as dancing characters, sunny weather, music instruments such as accordion and saxophone. Moreover, I will try to use some country animals like cows, horses and sheep. One of the most important generic conventions which I have to include in my video is the traditional drinks such
 as rakija and eastern fruity juices. Besides this I will use some traditional eastern foods which will be looking great on m video. This mise-en-scene or conventions will show the cultural identity of the eastern European people. I will base my video on a rural location at the beginning and later I will relocate my actors in mire urban areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment